Useful advice below to help those worst affected.
- Contact your household insurer as soon as possible. Many have emergency help lines to arrange for repairs to be carried out as quickly as possible
- Temporary emergency repairs at a reasonable cost should be paid by the insurers but make sure you keep all your receipts
- Most household policies will cover reasonable cost of alternative accommodation, up to stated limits, if the property is uninhabitable
- You should always try to salvage your belongings but without putting yourself at personal risk
- In these special circumstances many insurance companies will be prepared to offer an interim payment to cover the cost of clothes etc.
- Insurers can usually help with the cleaning up and drying out of homes
- Fully comprehensive motor policies will cover flood damage